music education major
a major in music education at brevard college will help you develop your personal skills and practices as an active musician. it will also give you the tools and experience you need to become a successful music educator. you’ll work one-on-one with our dedicated faculty to gain a foundation in both music theory and practice.
at brevard college, the music education philosophy is well-rounded and comprehensive. this means you’ll learn to teach in a variety of educational settings and musical contexts. brevard students with a major in music education are active and creative musicians at the time of graduation and are prepared to be effective music educators.
what you'll experience in the music education major:
- study music theories and techniques, learning theories, and instructional strategies and standards, all while actively applying them to your own practice and instruction.
- learn from faculty members who are not only dedicated professors there to help you succeed but also successful and highly skilled musicians and music educators themselves. with our average class size being 15 students, you’ll get the opportunity to form lifelong friendships and mentorships with brevard college faculty.
- gain a broad range of music education application by learning to teach through the lifespan (childhood through adulthood).
- learn by doing with brevard’s dedication to experiential academics.
- combine theory with practical application and research to become a well-rounded music educator prepared to meet your professional goals.
- elementary/primary school music teacher
- secondary school music teacher
- college/conservatory/university music educator
- academic researcher
- private instructor
- choir director
- music education supervisor (or school music supervisor)
- independent primary or secondary school music teacher
- arts administrator
- broadcast engineer
- community arts worker
- event manager
- ppc specialist
- radio broadcast assistant
- radio producer
- theatre stage manager